Monday, November 23, 2009

November 4: Carrie

I'm thankful for the "blogosphere". I feel linked to fellow moms, fellow teachers, and fellow humans in a way that hasn't been possible before I discovered blogs. I feel like the last 6 months have really been a time of change for me; changing from a "what's going to happen next gotta get to the next thing rush rush rush" life view to one of "live IN the day-enjoy what you've got and make time for life TODAY".

My blogs. My favs. I have a kindred soul in Dana, AKA Mommybrain. From Ali I learn amazing scrapping techniques and soak in her life philosophy. Pioneer Woman continues to amaze me with her photography and her food makes my husband happy. Matt blows me away with the rawness of his grief for his wife and his love for their child. Kolby's Tage just continues to amaze us all with his tenacity for growth. And one of my first blog love's is Nate. Here are his words today that I am going to repeat.

A Life Of Thanksgiving
I'm stealing this idea from a friend because it's something I need in my life right now.


The Thanksgiving holiday is one of my favorites...food, football, family, friends and lots of fun. But, originally, it was meant to be a day to pause and give authentic thanks to God. Unfortunately, for many, including myself, thanksgiving is more of a one-day holiday that a way of life. I don't know about you, but I've been blessed beyond comprehension, and even in the unwelcome moments of life, I have so much to be thankful for.

What would it look like if I ONLY spoke words of gratitude the entire week of Thanksgiving? If I went so far as to look at a pile of laundered clothes that awaits my folding and putting up, a task I normally hate, and instead think and speak out loud, “God, thank you for these clothes, for providing covering.” When my daughter voicing her grumpiness, “God, thank you that she has a voice that works and you are shaping her own unique personality.” If every time next week I see a person, I tell them why I am thankful to God they are in my life.

So, starting this Monday morning and going through this Sunday evening, I'm challenging myself to live an entire week full of thanksgiving.

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. (Ephesians 5:4 ESV)

Anytime I'm tempted to think/say/do something negative (filthy, foolish, crude or otherwise unthankfull), I will instead choose, in that very moment, to give thanks to God for His blessing in my life.If you'd like to join me, please leave a comment saying so AND repost this (in our own words, if you'd like...no need to link me) on your blog, twitter, facebook, etc. and challenge your friends to do the same.

Even if you're not reading this until after Monday morning, it's never too late to take up a good challenge. And, keep in mind that nobody who takes this challenge is going to make it an entire week without missing the mark...so, when that happens to you, just pick yourself back up and start again!

So, to start, I thank God that I have the opportunity to tell our story on the web for all to share!

1 comment:

MommyBrain said...

What a great post ... and a great idea from Nate ... this is the perfect week for me to take up that challenge :)

How fabulous is it that ITP brought us together?! I can still remember how hard it was to be away from NHV for the first time and how much better you made it ... just knowing you were in the same boat ... and then it turned out that we had all kinds of other stuff in common, too. I am so thankful for our friendship! (Wish we could hang out more often!)