Friday, August 14, 2009

Party at 4 am and a naughty word...

I must not have had Oliver's monitor up loud enough last night, because when I finally heard the seriously sad "Mama, morning? Mama, get up? Mama??!?!" sobs coming from his room he had already:

1. Locked the door (this happens when he's not quite awake enough to turn the handle, but it means he was working at it for a bit)
2. Turned on the light
3. Rocked for a bit, the rocker was still moving
4. Played trains, the evidence was all over the floor
By the time I got there, he had had enough. He was standing on his train table, sobbing, snot and tears everywhere. Mind you this hasn't happened in a looooong time, so maybe my "HURRY CRYING GET UP FAST" neurons are fading.

As we rocked together when his room had been put back to rights, (after several inquires of "Mama? Wach e show? Wach e moo-ee? Yeah, yeah!" and SEVERAL explanations about how 4 am wasn't time to watch Elmo...) we must have woken Shawn up, because Oliver told me all about how he could hear Dada in the bathroom. Walking back to bed, Dada tooted and Oliver heard. He then proceeded to tell me all about toots until I was able to get him to quiet down again. Just as I thought he was going to get sleepy, I hear his little voice, very soft, very tentative....

"Fart"

I busted up like you wouldn't believe. It was a combination of timing, his "I know this might be a naughty word, but I'm going to try it out on you anyway" voice, and then, the GIGGLES. I lost it, so of course he started chanting "Fart Mama, Fart!" and we were both laughing pretty hard.

I'm hoping that the fact he fell asleep pretty quick after our giggle fest at 4:30 am will allow his memory to forget that one. Still, I hope I never forget that soft, sweet little voice saying his first "naughty" word. Fart.

2 comments:

MommyBrain said...

Aha, ha! So funny! I love it when Natalie gets a little surprise gas; she looks up at me and says, "Na-na toot."

Andrew and Rebecca said...

LMAO - again! Though I do wish Rory's first naughty word was only fart... you must not have adult potty mouths at your house... or in your car.